Sanitation Services

Section Overview

The Sewerage and Water Board bills and collects the sanitation fee on behalf of the City of New Orleans for accounts showing any water consumption during the billing period. Contact the Sewerage and Water Board regarding questions about the sanitation fee on your bill. You should contact the City for your sanitation issues or applying for a garbage cart.

More information can also be found by visiting the City of New Orleans Department of Sanitation Website.

Litter Abatement

The litter abatement application and affidavit are used to certify that a business or multi-residential structure has privately contracted for sanitation services, and wishes for monthly sanitation charges to be removed from their Sewerage and Water Board bill. This application, affidavit, and accompanying fee are effective only for the calendar year in which they were submitted and must be renewed each year to continue receiving an exemption from sanitation charges.

Reduced Sanitation Charge Application

The Reduced Sanitation Charge Application is for those who are 65 years of age and older AND whose income does not exceed federal poverty guidelines to apply to be exempt from any increase in sanitation charges above the rates in effect as of December 1, 2000, and to also be exempt from any recycling service charges, if applicable.

Sanitation Service Charge Adjustment

The sanitation service charge adjustment form is used to adjust the service charge on accounts where the property or units on the property are vacant or the property is under construction. Customer must provide documentation of construction. Acceptable documentation is a copy of a building permit issued by the City of New Orleans. The form is valid for 1 year from date of submission. Customer is responsible for submitting this form every year that the condition is valid. Customer is also responsible for notifying Sewerage and Water Board when this condition changes.

Sanitation Service Charge Credit

The sanitation service charge credit form is used to determine if a credit is due to a customer based on the following:

  • Property vacant or zero consumption for an extended period of time; credit is assessed for no more than three years; or
  • Property was miss-billed for number of units; credit is assessed for no more than ten years. Customer must provide documentation to verify claim.

Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Declaration page of either homeowners or flood insurance for each year claimed
  • Certificate of Completion/Occupancy issued through the City’s Safety and Permits Department (Building Permit is not an acceptable document)
  • Letter from the insurance company on their letterhead, listing the service address, description of property and effective date of insurance for each year claimed.
Validation error occured. Please enter the fields and submit it again.
Thank You ! Your email has been delivered.