Home / History & Facts / The Drainage System / SELA Drainage Overview
Things To Do
Things To Know
View Our FAQ
Contact Us
Site Search
Fight Fraud
SELA Drainage Overview
As you know, New Orleans is a bowl, and because we are well below sea level it causes devastating flooding problems. The purpose of the Southeast Louisiana Program is to reduce flood damages in the City of New Orleans and surrounding parishes. This will be accomplished by constructing new pump stations and better drainage canals throughout our city.

The program was authorized in 1996 by the United States Congress and administered under a project cooperation agreement between the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. It was signed by the Honorable Marc Morial in 1997.
The program is comprised of three phases.
Phase One Projects include:

* Hollygrove Pump Station and Canals
* Pump Station No. 1 Upgrade
* Napoleon Canal
* S. Claiborne Manifold Canal (Nashville to Louisiana)
* Dwyer Road Pump Station and Canals

The costs for these projects is $140 million, 75 percent of which will be federally funded. The Sewerage and Water Board must pay the remaining 25 percent or $40 million.